Friday, March 16, 2018

Snow Dyeing Cotton

Hello,
I'm here today with a quick post about a fun and  new to me technique for dyeing cloth or yarn. It involves snow which is something that we have plenty of most years with this year being no exception.

Yesterday myself and seven members of the Creative Fibre Play group gathered at Marnie's place for an afternoon of snow dyeing. Cath a fibre artist shared freely of her dyeing knowledge, fabric and dyes. She also introduced us to some very fun types of silks, who knew that there is such variety.

After getting our projects done to the point of where the melting snow was left to work its magic we were served yummy cookies and muffins with tea or coffee. We were treated to a tour of Marnie's craft room. Then we discussed what other crafts we want to try next. Crafts and friends, my favorite way to spend an afternoon.
There are many You Tube video's on the subject of snow dyeing so I won't go into any of the how to details.

Here is a photo of my dye covered snow set up.
 The wet fabric pieces hung out to dry after they were rinsed and washed.
 And the same two pieces after they were dry and ironed.

 I see so many flower shapes when I look at them. They are a bit more vibrant in real life and 
I love them both. Now to come up with a project that will showcase them best. Stay tuned.
Have a crafty day!
Jutta

1 comment:

  1. They're gorgeous Jutta. So glad to see the end result. Hmmmm, may have to try this before all the snow is gone :)

    ReplyDelete

TJ Goddess Art Journal Completed

Welcome to the final installment of this journal. It has been made with many gifted or found papers and bits of stash. It celebrates the con...